ION EXCHANGE RESIN
A combination of temperature and nutrients (organic compounds) is responsible for development of microorganisms in ion exchange resin beds. Regular disinfection of the resin avoids such microbial contamination that has a negative impact on process operations.
We recommend the following disinfection protocol* with Halamid®:
(*) this procedure is valid for cationic resin types.
- Backwash the resin with water to remove impurities, then drain the water.
- Fill the column with a 250 ppm Halamid® solution and leave for 10 hours.
- Drain the solution. Residual Halamid® should still be present in the solution. If not, repeat the ion exchange resin disinfection step.
- Fill with water and backwash for 30 min.
- Control rinsing efficacy by measuring the Halamid® residual level in rinse-water.